Thursday, July 19, 2007

Frequent-flyer miles

Man can you imagine this guy's day?

He's been appointed the second-youngest conductor of the New York Philharmonic, to take effect in the 2009-2010 season.

He'll be "splitting his time" between the NY Philharmonic, the Swedish Royal Stockholm Philharmonic -- where he's been chief conductor since 1999 -- and the Hamburg NDR Symphony Orchestra -- where he's chief guest conductor.

So basically he'll be flying over the Atlantic a lot, and when he deplanes he'll be going to conduct an orchestra. That's like the easiest job in the world.

I wish I was haughty and could conduct. That'd be cool. And rich. I'd live in first class, and then be able to sample $400-per-bottle wines when I was staying in my Manhattan loft -- or my Stockholm apartment.

I wonder what he does for a vacation? Certainly it should not involve flying.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Ahhh, I most certainly won't let Drew see this blog since you referred to conducting an orchestra as the easiest job in the world. If you had ANY idea what conductors (and granted mine works with voices, not instruments) do to prepare for the actual performance, you'd think differently, honey. :-(

BdeRWest said...

Oh I didn't mean it that way. I was a saxophonist for 11 years, and therefore (as they say) part of the problem!

I just meant it'd be cool to have a job where flying over the Atlantic was a requirement.

Mea culpa!