Saturday, May 05, 2007

Why use lines when you don't have to?

I like the design of The Patriot-News. It's nice, clean, and colorful.

I don't know how, but TPN puts out a full-color A book, and it looks good.

There's not an overabundance of lines, like The Washington Post (who even put hairlines between ads. What's up with that?)

Its use of colored boxes without black borders (Ahem, Evening Sun) makes it look crisp and new, and there aren't borders around its pictures, either (something for which I love The New York Times, and hate my own paper).

Its choice of sans-serif font is solid (although I can't place the name). Sure the copy font might be a bit odd, but hey, it's cool.

I'm also a huge fan of using san-serif font in all caps to make "lines," something TPN does well.

If I designed a newspaper, it would look like The Patriot-News.

A quick look at its Web site. It kind of mirrors the design of the paper, but not so much. I mean, it's not full of lines, but at the same time it looks... different.

Why can't more companies realize (like The New York Times) your Web site should mirror the design of your paper. That way, a) you don't have to redesign it every year to keep up with trends, and b) people will better associate the page with the paper.

And, for the record, I am against newspapers teaming up with Web companies and offering their news on a different site (TPN is PennLive.com, well, really it's PennLive.com/PatriotNews. And though I can't think of them right now, I know of a couple other examples).

But they probably save money that way, and can therefore put out a full color paper.

Compromises, ain't they a biatch?

No comments: