Tuesday, March 06, 2007

My thoughts on television

So one of two things can happen with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

NBC can lose faith in Aaron Sorkin, which may or may not have already happened. While I like the drama, my TV-critic girlfriend scoffs at me for it. Oh well. I also own the entire series of The Tick on DVD. And not the stupid, animated one. The live-action one with Patrick Wharburton.

So they can cancel the show, force the writers to close open plots and burn off the remaining episodes over the summer. But since they ordered the whole season, I find this unlikely.

Because no one wants to end a show without closure, and I'm sure they've filmed one or two, if not all, remaining episodes.

The second option, I guess, is to move the show to another night when it comes back from hiatus.

I, probably like many American cough potatoes, see this as a death knell for television shows. Sure, once in a while a show does better on another night, but most of the time they just sort of dry up.

But the move might be good for the show. If you think about it, the target audience for Heroes is preteen, teen and 18-24, and any show you put on after a hit like Heroes is bound to want the same audience, as they're more likely to just stick around another hour.

So of course Studio 60 wasn't really right for that entire audience. While my liberal, tree-hugging, Mac-loving, fat ass liked the show, the same can't be said of many others. It's a show about adults, and what high school or college student wants to watch a boring story about adults. I have other reasons for liking it, I find a backstage look into SNL fascinating, and geeze I just like the story.

Anyway, this new crap, The Black Donnelleys, seems more tailored to the Heroes crowd. At least some of them. I like Heroes, but I do not like The Black Donnellys.

Because it seems to me someone said, "Hey, let's make The Departed into a TV show. But with young people. And a love story. Boom."

But they couldn't tell a story of Irish kids in Boston, because, let's face it, it's cliché. And they couldn't tell a story of Italian kids in NYC for the same reason? Solution. The ol' switcheroo.

That and I find the story telling, while inventive, a little trite and predictable. How do you narrate a show without having some bodiless voice hovering over everyone, omniscient and omnipresent?

Desperate Housewives found a rather ingenious way to do this: kill a character and then have her narrate the rest. She's dead, she's a ghost. Of course she's omniscient. It's a fun way to poke fun at the voice over in general.

Having a prisoner who just happens to know the whole story you want to hear, and tells it to you while trying to get you to like him and realize he's not a bad guy, why's he in prison, just taxes me.

While moving Studio 60 to another night won't really affect me (I'm subscribed to the season via iTunes), I just wanted to speak my piece.

Oh, and in August, I don't think anyone saw Tina Fey's show doing way better than Aaron Sorkin's. In fact, I think most people thought of 30 Rock as a joke. Which it is, but it's a damn funny joke, and I wish it wasn't on during Grey's Anatomy.

Besides, I still refuse to believe anyone called 30 Rockafeller Center "30 Rock."

No comments: