Saturday, February 10, 2007

Sequels Aren't All Bad

You know, I hate sequels. But as I watch Men in Black II, I can't help but chuckle at, well, most of it.

It's not a bad movie. Largely, I assume, because of Barry Sonnenfeld.

I saw him on the Tonight Show once, he was hilarious. I was impressed. May it was the Late Show...

Now, as with the original Men in Black, there is some camp. But the original was very funny, too, and I suspect the film was written and directed with the best intentions to the original comics.

While the first film has more of that thing I hate (comics playing themselves in films, e.g., Will Smith going off on Will Smith "I'm cooler than thou, yo" tangents), Men in Black II has a more toned-down Smith. Funnier. You can tell he's had a chance to stretch his acting legs since the first movie.

Patrick Warburton is in it, too. And while it isn't a big role, it's classic Warburton.

Anyway, as much as I hate to say it, check out Men in Black II if you're ever bored and wandering around Blockbuster. Or whenever Sony makes nice with Apple and puts Columbia's library on iTunes.

No comments: