Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sabbaticals

I want to go to Wales. See the Sea of Man. And Ireland. I'd love to just go live in Ireland for like five years. And Cornwall. I suppose I should go see Scotland, too, just to be fair.

The next time I go to the UK, I'm not going to spend the entire time in London. Don't get me wrong, London is awesome. I wish I could spend months there. But there's so many other places over there I'd want to see.

I really kick myself for not taking French in high school and college. Actually I partially blame the US Dept. of Education. If schools just taught kids languages in Elementary School, we'd all be trilingual by now. That's my goal: To speak French and Spanish. I would also love to learn Dutch, but it's not as important. It's an unrealistic goal, though. I know it, you know it and the American people know it.

Oh well.

But the UK and Ireland. Hoo-boy. That and I desperately want to see Switzerland. Austria wouldn't be bad, either. I'd like to see Vienna, the easternmost extent of the Ottoman Empire. And Salzburg, too.

But the Alps. Man. Can you imagine? A mountain range so universal, so old, it's name is only four letters. I was watching The Sound of Music the other day with Caitlin, and as much as it is a 1960s musical, the views are breathtaking.

One more reason I'm going to be a professor: sabbaticals.

No comments: