Wednesday, February 21, 2007

F A T :(

I'm not Catholic. Nor am I particularly devout to any creed or denomination of the Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindi or Buddhist faiths.

But that's a very long point to make, and one to which I think I will rise at a later date.

The point is, I'm giving up junk food for Lent.

When I moved to McSherrystown, I weighed 265/270. I had gained back most, if not all, of the weight I lost my freshman year at Ship. I was fat again, and it was very disappointing.

Well, working 7-3 five days a week at Clarks, and biking 10 miles every day after work (and eating healthy) quickly dropped my weight back to 215. Since winter, though, I haven't exercised. And, to my dismay, I've begun to eat too much of the wrong things again.

I used to not drink soda, or any juice that had HFCS for that matter. Now I get a soda from the vending machine whenever I want. I snack on things other than apples and Twizzlers (which are surprisingly healty).

Enough. I've gained about 6 pounds back, and I'm not letting this get out of hand again. While I probably won't go running, unless it continues to warm up, I can eat healthy.

I stopped getting apples because they were out of season, but I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy Wal-Mart apples. I stopped drinking Juicy Juice exclusively (yes, I drink Juicy Juice. It's 100 percent juice, which means no HFCS) because Wal-Mart doesn't carry the larger sizes. Actually, when I first moved here all I really drank was water. Lots of water. Maybe I'll do that. Swear off junk food, all juice and soda. But isn't juice healthy?

I have a membership at the local gym, but I have yet to go. Gyms have always made me anxious. It's sort of like PE in high school all over again. But I think I'll go.

Because for as much work as jogging for 45 minutes or biking for an hour and a half was, it was satisfying as well.

I can't wait until it's warmer and I can get out and jog again.

But for now, it's back to regimen. No soda. No Cheezits, no Ritz Bitz, no cheese and crackers. A turkey-and-cheese sandwich and an apple for lunch with water. And dinner. OJ for breakfast.

Does Tropicana have HFCS? Maybe I'll switch to Simply Orange. Because oranges don't naturally have HFCS, do they?

Maybe I'll start doing crunches in the morning, too. Although I doubt I have the will to get up early and do 50 crunches, then take a shower and get ready for work. But you never know.

So really it isn't for Lent, it's forever. We'll see how long that lasts.

No comments: