Friday, January 26, 2007

Smokin' Aces

There's definitely something to be said about a movie that gives you glimpses of a sleazy, greasy world, but at the same time makes you want to immerse yourself. To get dirty. Get grit in your hair and breathe in the aroma of second hand smoke, body odor, scotch and gun oil.

Smokin' Aces makes me want to do all those things. The brief scenes from the trailer make me desperatevly want to see the movie. And I can't explain why. And then the splash at the end taunts you with a fully loaded cast: Jeremy Piven, Ben Affleck, Andy Garcia, Ryan Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Alicia Keys, "Common."

And who doesn't love a burned-out, half-drunk, sleazball of an FBI witness/Vegas magician named Buddy Israel.

The movie looks like the director just stole Domino's DP and said "here, make this movie." But the wisely added, "but make it good."

Sidenote: Domino's DP did Mission Impossible III? Who knew?
Smokin' Aces' DP did Tears of the Sun. Thought I'd throw that in there.


Maybe DP isn't the position I want. In these days of digital filming, it really isn't the film and lenses you use, but what effects you put on the "film" to get it to look a certain way. C'est la vie.

But good movies often have a writer/director, as Smokin' Aces does. I've always been of the opinion that stories are told better when the same guy who wrote it brings it to life, ala Gattaca.

I can't wait to see it, but at the same time I know I'll probably be forced to wait until it comes out on disc, or iTunes (by then). It isn't a movie I can imagine Caitlin wanting to see. And I'm not going home soon, so I can't just see it with Lee. Well, maybe it will be playing in February when I go back. I don't know, we'll see.

Until then, I'll just make do by reading how a movie like this is Ben Affleck's second step toward redeeming his career from bad career moves.

No comments: