Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ear Candy

"Some more music courtesy Facebook's Apple Students group: "Stay" by Small Sins.

Now, mind you, this isn't music I'm getting now. It's music I downloaded two months ago, and am only finding now.

You see, when I plug my third-generation iPod into iTunes 7, the program kind of freezes in shock that I would be using hardware that old.

(Actually, it's because it's trying to determine if the 778 songs should be played gapless or not. I shudder to think what would happen if I had all 10 gigs of my collection on the player. Something involving smoke and fire, I assume.)

So Stay is sort of that happy alt/pop where the recording is intimate enough to pick up the singer's breathing and voice nuances. He sings in that hushed sort of hoarse loud whisper-but-not.

The kind of music that's cheery and happy and about love and life.

There's a bubbly arpeggio throughout the song that lends a lot to this feeling. That and the backup singers use their falsetto to chorus the lead with "you can stay if you want to."

All in all, you really only hear the arpeggio and the heavy boom-buh of a bass drum and snare. And now that I listen closely, the drummer's other hand is ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ing on a closed hi-hat.

It makes for a well-put together song, with a minimal amount of instruments. keyboard, trap and singer. Oh and the backup singers.

Check it out.

It's a shame that in this day and age people can't tell other people to go download this song or that song to listen to. The best you ge without committing to buy is a 30-second span someone somewhere decided was the part of the song you should hear in order to decide if you liked it.

May I recommend Pandora? Sure you can't buy the songs, but search for the song and -- usually -- Pandora will bring it up for you to listen to before departing on its magical voyage of discovery.

No comments: